Membership Registration Programme
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ: How do I join the OttawaValley Guild of Stitchery (OVGS)?
- Complete the OVGS Renewal of Membership and Privacy Waiver form and submit the form and membership dues to the OVGS Membership Chairperson.
FAQ: Where do I get a Renewal of Membership and Privacy Waiver Form?
- Forms may be downloaded from the OVGS internet web site here or by attending a general meeting and requesting a copy directly from the Membership Chairperson.
FAQ: How do I contact the OVGS Membership Chairperson?
- The OVGS recognizes the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which protects personal information in the hands of private sector organizations and voluntarily follows the guidelines for the collection, use and disclosure of that information. The Act, based on ten privacy principles developed by the Canadian Standards Association, is overseen by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and the Federal Court.
FAQ: Why do I have to complete the Renewal of Membership and Privacy Waiver form?
FAQ: What does it mean when I select Yes to Question 4 on the Membership Renewal and Privacy Waiver?
"I further authorize the OVGS to include this personal information in a membership list that will be available to other members."
If you say Yes to question 4
- Your signature indicates that you agree not to pass on OVGS members' personal information to non members.
- Your contact information will be included on the OVGS membership list, which will be shared with the OVGS Executive, your fellow members and with individual program directors.
- It will enable those program directors to contact you directly with information about upcoming courses.
- It will allow members to contact each other, to share their knowledge and skills, and discuss ongoing projects and programs, to arrange rides etc.
If you say No to question 4
- Your personal information will be provided to the EAC registry and will place you on the mailing list for theEmbroidery Canada magazine issued by the EAC.
- Your personal information will be restricted to the executive members of the guild for guild business – for example to register you as a member; to mail the OVGS newsletter to you; and to send you updates on your membership status.
- Your personal information will be not be provided to individual program directors who are running courses. Therefore, it will be your responsibility to contact program directors when you are registered for a course. Program directors are not always members of OVGS and may be visiting guests.
- Your contact information will not be provided to ordinary members.
- You will not receive a copy of the OVGS Membership list.
FAQ: How often do I have to complete the Renewal of Membership and Privacy Waiver form?
- Once a year on the anniversary of your enrolment in the OVGS. The Policy Waiver is built into the OVGS membership renewal form. This is how you tell the Membership Chairperson that you want to renew your guild membership.
FAQ: How much does it cost to join the OVGS?
- As of January 1st, 2012, the EAC dues have increased, so annual dues are $70.00. Your membership dues are shared. $40.00 goes to the EAC, and the remaining $30.00 goes to OVGS.
FAQ: What are my dues used for?
- EAC annual dues are used to support the Association. It includes the cost of the EAC magazine Embroidery Canada, which is produced four times a year. As a current member:
- you will receive copies of the Embroidery Canada magazine,
- you are entitled to register, at a reduced cost, for courses or seminars provided by the EAC, and
- you may use the EAC national library.
- OVGS annual dues are used for the following activies:
- to pay for the rental of the meeting space,
- to pay for the production of the OVGS Newsletter,
- to subsidize workshops,
- to maintain the library, and
- to pay for the cost of supplies to run the Guild.
Note: Full details of annual expenditures are contained in the Annual Report.
FAQ: What if I am already a member of another guild within the EAC?
- If you are a national member of the EAC or a member in another EAC sponsored guild, the dual membership dues are $30.00.
- You must renew your membership on time with your home guild to maintain your dual membership status.
- Subscriptions to Embroidery Canada are renewed based on your home guild membership.
FAQ: How do I pay the annual dues?
- Annual dues are paid directly to the OVGS Membership Chairperson.
- Dues may be paid in cash at a general meeting, or by check either at a general meeting or by mail to the Membership Chairperson.
- Cards such as MasterCard of Visa cannot be accepted.
FAQ: When do I have to pay the annual dues?
- OVGS membership dues are paid annually on your membership anniversary date. Anniversary dates are calculated as 1 February, 1 April, 1 August, or 1 November.
FAQ: When should I renew my membership?
- Members should submit the renewal payments two months prior to their membership anniversary date. This will allow the EAC to send the Embroidery magazine to you without a break. Remember that most EAC personnel are volunteers and that it takes a lot of work to keep lists current. Copies of the Embroidery Canada magazine will not be sent to memberships that are in arrears.
FAQ: Will I receive a proof of payment?
- Yes. You will receive a receipt from the OVGS Membership Chairperson at time of payment.
FAQ: When will I receive a membership card?
- In approximately four to six weeks after joining or renewing your membership, you will receive your EAC membership card, through the OVGS Membership Chairperson.
Note: EAC Membership cards are signed by the EAC Membership Chairperson and forwarded to your local guild membership chairperson for distribution.
FAQ: What if I have a dual membership?
- You will only receive a card from your home guild.
FAQ: What will I receive when I join the OVGS?
- You will receive:
- a letter of welcome,
- information pamphlets about the EAC
- a copy of the OVGS constitution, and
- if you have said yes to question 4 on the Membership Renewal and Privacy Waiver form, you will receive a copy of the general membership list.
- It is important to keep your contact information current if you wish to continue to receive magazines and information from the OVGS/EAC.
- Changes to postal addresses, phone numbers and/or email addresses may be submitted at any time to the Membership Chairperson.
- The simplest way to ensure your contact information is accurate is to update your Renewal of Membership and Privacy form. The new form will be placed on file, the old form destroyed. The EAC will be advised of any changes to your personal information.
Note: If you belong to more than one chapter, it is important to advise both of any changes in address.
FAQ: How will I know when it is time to renew my membership?
- Your anniversary date is imprinted on your membership card.
- Your Membership Chairperson will try to contact you ahead of time and remind you; however, if your contact information is not accurate this may be impossible.
- When you register at a general meeting, you may confirm your renewal date.
FAQ: Will my membership be cancelled automatically if I do not renew?
- Yes. If you do not renew your membership in a timely manner, the EAC Membership Chairperson will ask your local Membership Chairperson to confirm your membership status.
- If you have not confirmed your intention to renew your membership by your anniversary date, EAC will be advised that your membership has been cancelled in the next membership submission to EAC.
- If dues have not been paid on time, you will not receive the Embroidery Canada Magazine.
- Your name will be removed from the membership list in the quarter following the anniversary date of your membership.